Wednesday 7 January 2015

FINDING GOD (Chapter 1)



By Niran: 

They say there is a higher power in the universe. I wouldn't know; I never bothered with religion. But there comes a time when there is a shift in your perceptions and your senses have to accommodate the presence of the supernatural. 

My name is Tobi and this is my story.


I was born into a respected background. My parents were pillars of the community. My position as the first son, though the second-born of the family, meant that lots of eyes were on me. But this is not about my family. No, this is about me. Suffice to say though; I have 3 siblings; two sisters and a brother. 

All through my adolescent years, i was pretty much a model child. I was the epitome of responsibility, obedience and all that. After all, I was supposed to be an example, right? I was a bit repressed, quiet, an introvert, and a loner. I was rarely seen, not to talk of even heard. However, all that was about to change. 

I got admission into the university to read Mass Communication. I was 16 years old and I thought to myself that i would use my 5 years in the university to flex and have fun though i won’t neglect my academic pursuits. What naivete! Let me start with my roommates; there was Justin, Bayo and Christian. The first one week we were getting to know one another. Christian was 1 year ahead of me while Bayo was 2 years ahead leaving me and Justin as the two freshers in the room. Christian was studying Business Administration; Justin was admitted into the Computer Science program and Bayo was reading Theatre Arts. We got along well as roommates. 

There was this one girl, Subomi, in my department that always smiled at me and made a point to talk to me whenever we had classes. I chalked it up to my intelligence when answering questions in class and i was polite to her even though i subtly gave her the cold shoulder. I guess she didn’t get the message that i was not interested in girls (at that time anyway) because she came up to me one morning after MCM 1101.
“Hello Tobi, how you doing” she asked.
“I am fine and you?” i said.
She replied, “i am okay oh. Have you seen the posters for tonight’s FRESHERS NIGHT party?”
“There would be a party tonight? Hmm, I must have missed the signs” i replied with sarcasm.
It was obviously lost on her since she proceeded to give me a flyer and asked me if i would go with her. I gave her a noncommittal reply as i headed out to the room to relax before the next lectures. I met Chris and Justin in the room and greeted them. Justin replied with his nose in his book. 

Chris greeted me boisterously, “Sharp guy! How lectures now? Any show?”
I smiled, “I dey oh. Na this Subomi girl matter i just dey reason. I dey use scope rtell am say i no dey interested but the girl no just wan see sign! See wetin she gimme wey she come dey invite me come”
"But that girl fine na. Guy no dull yourself oh. How many guys do you know that ladies run after like that?"
"Erm, lemme think......you? i dunno why dem dey flock round you like that. Only you is a bad guys."
"Na talent oh. She even put her number for this flyer sha. O boi, no dull oh! Call her and don’t worry, i’ll put you through everything you need to know."

And that was how Chris talked me into calling that girl and setting up a date for later that night. 

Hang around for chapter 2...

No comments:

Post a Comment